The amber list, which is part of the traffic light system for travel that applies to residents of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, will soon be scrapped in favor of a simpler travel system consisting of only red lists and non-red list countries.
Since Monday 19 July, fully-vaccinated British travelers have not needed to quarantine when returning from amber list countries. (The rules for children differ by age group – it is best to check the government website for the latest advice.) However, on Monday 4 October the amber list will combine with the green list to make up the rest-of-world countries that are safe to visit. Here’s what you need to know.
Amber list rules
- What you must-do if you have been in a country or territory on the amber list in the 10 days before you arrive in England.
- You can read separate guidance on what you need to do if you are traveling abroad from England.
Before you travel to England
Before you travel to England you must:
- Take a COVID-19 test – you must take the test in the 3 days before you travel to England.
- Book and pay for COVID-19 tests – to be taken after arrival in England.
- Complete a passenger locator form.
- You must do these things whether you are fully vaccinated or not.
When you arrive in England, If you are fully vaccinated
After you arrive in England you must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2.
This applies if you’re fully vaccinated under either:
- The UK vaccination program.
- The UK vaccine program overseas.
- An approved vaccination program in Europe or the USA – not all are recognized in England.
It also applies if you are:
taking part in an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial in the UK or the USA
- Under 18 and resident in the UK, a UK Overseas Territory, the USA, or one of the specified European countries.
- If you will be in England for less than 2 days you still need to book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test. You only need to take the test if you are still in England on day 2.
If you are not fully vaccinated
If you do not qualify under the fully vaccinated rules, on arrival in England you must:
- Quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days.
- Take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8.
- Read about the fully vaccinated rules, quarantine, and taking COVID-19 tests after arrival in England.
- If you are in England for less than 10 days, you need to quarantine for the time you are here. You need to book day 2 and day 8 travel tests. You only need to take the tests if you are still in England.
With all of this information, you should feel more confident when traveling to the UK from an amber list country. You can also get in touch with us today if you would like us to assist with your UK visa application.